With just a few weeks to go until our due date, I thought now would be a great time to share all of my favorite essentials that I’ve loved using & prepping during my countdown to Baby Ginz! I did a lot of research along the way – through mama friends, my Instagram mama community, and by reading reputable websites (like The Bump) and books. There are SO many lists out there for what you “need” during pregnancy and childbirth but I really tried to use common sense when it came to what I products I felt were necessary to have throughout these last almost ten months and in preparation for a newborn.
1. One of my best mama friends, Emi, bought me the Mama Mio Tummy Rub Butter when I first told her I was expecting and I’ve been using it ever since! The butter has a really thick lotion-like texture and I use it generously every morning. At night, I follow it up with the same brand’s Tummy Oil. So far, no stretch marks – woohoo! I know, I know – stretch marks are typically genetic but anything I can do to help, right?!
2. You know you’re in nesting mode when you get excited about filling your diaper bag! It took me a LONG time to figure out what diaper bag I wanted and I knew I had to get something that my husband wouldn’t mind toting around too. A few of my friends recommended the bags from Pottery Barn Kids and this lucky lady received the most perfect one at her baby shower. It’s almost packed and ready to go! (Thanks again, Emi!)
3. The Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics tea has helped me throughout every stage of pregnancy. In the beginning, I was gifted a variety box that included four different teas for morning sickness, heartburn, calmness & one specifically for the third trimester. I’ve given up caffeine during my pregnancy, so these have been a lifesaver (that and Starbucks decaf)! Currently I’m drinking the third trimester tea to prepare my body for labor. Any day now!
4. I had seen the Solly Baby Wrap all over Instagram even before I was pregnant – and knew I HAD to have it when the time came. I’m all for ‘baby wearing’ and can’t wait to put Baby Ginz in his wrap all snuggled up. I wanted to practice with the dog.. but my husband nixed that idea! Ugh.
5. I absolutely adore my mama community on Instagram and all the guidance they’ve given me in the short time I’ve known them. I came across the Raspberriez brand through them and it was love at first sight when I saw their baby boat shoes! Every Florida baby needs boat shoes, right?! The brand is made up of a mom & daughter duo and they homemake every single pair themselves. They also have the cutest little booties! Washing & organizing little baby clothes, shoes and socks has definitely been a favorite past time lately. It’s definitely a relaxing way to prepare for baby.
6. I jokingly call my Snoogle pregnancy pillow the “third person” in the bed because when it’s tucked under the covers when the bed is made, it totally looks like there’s someone hiding in the bed. Sleeping has been ‘complicated’ and the Snoogle has been my saving grace. The pillow is fashioned in a very long “C” shape so it wraps around your body and can be used in several different positions and configurations. Hubs doesn’t know it yet, but I might keep using it after the baby is born!
7. After reading up on all the harmful implications of BPA (Bisphenol A) in plastic and how it can harm our babies, I switched to reusable water bottles early on in pregnancy. I love the Swell bottles not only because they’re beautiful, but they keep my water or tea hot or cold for the entire day! It was a seriously hot summer here in South Florida, and having ice cold water always on hand (even after accidentally leaving the bottle in the car) was everything.
8. Acai bowls have been a constant staple item for me throughout my entire pregnancy. Luckily, they’re made with all natural and organic ingredients! My favorite comes from a local smoothie spot and I love how they layer acai, peanut butter, granola and fresh fruit for the perfect refreshing snack or breakfast. It was a LONG & HOT summer here in South Florida and I’d like to credit acai bowls for keeping me sane!
Some honorable mentions are my Athleta maternity yoga pants, my Pure Barre workouts that I was able to do before I moved and was told not to workout anymore – BOO! (HEY West Boca ladies, miss you!), and coconut water to keep me super hydrated.
Are there any items that you found as must-haves during your prep for baby? Feel free to share them in a comment below! XOXO.